My sister is crazy for potato bake, but I have never been able to master it. This recipe was born in an afternoon when I needed to cook potato bake, but I didn't have any cream. Although this is easy, it has a long cooking time so is great to cook on the weekend. It's nice to enjoy while the nights are still a bit cool.
(these measurements are correct for a 4 litre casserole dish with a lid)
- 1 kg Potatos
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup of stock (I use Vegeta chicken stock powder, use your favourite)
- pinch white pepper
- handful of grated cheese
- Slice your potatoes into 1 cm slices, it doesn't have to be super accurate.I use washed potatoes because I don't have to peel them. So lazy!
- Layer them in the casserole dish, until you get to the top.
- Combine stock, milk and pepper; pour over the potatoes. The liquid should come up about halfway.
- Sprinkle with cheese, put the lid on, and bake in a medium oven for at least an hour, maybe longer, until the potatoes are cooked.
- Take the lid off towards the end if you like, for a crispy, browned top.
The starch from the potatoes will combine with the liquid to create a bit of a thickened effect but this is not a recipe for a traditional creamy rich potato bake. Just nice tasty roasted/steamed potatoes in a slightly creamy sauce. Yum!